تابعي الاثر

الاثنين، فبراير 14، 2011

Joan Dumouchel






''When I create figures, I inhabit them for a moment and I see myself living my emotions and my fantasies through them. It fascinates me... and it appears to me that this is the magical in creation''

Joan Dumouchel


Joan Dumouchel paints intuitive dreamscapes where the only certainty is the direct and open emotional connection with the subject of the painting. Joan’s misty, ethereal canvases are peopled by the captivating visages of theatrical performers, mimes, acrobats and circus artists. What is portrayed is the contemplative inner realm of personas more typically seen in dramatic states of extroversion.

The atmospheric paintings highlight the individuality of each expression; a unique nuance is captured in each portrait and rendered as if in a dream. Joan’s color palette runs cool or warm, creating the tenor of the scene. Watery blues melt over silver leaf, veiling her subject in liquid color and generating a sense of serenity. Fiery earth tones on gold leaf impart a drama and allure, diffusing the effects of light as if through steam.

“I painted from a live model for many years. Consequently, these individuals became vital to me, they are my focus….As I often say, I live with my subjects.” Joan’s early life as a painter was far more structural, and she painted in a hyper-realistic style. Her tight draftsmanship eventually became too constricting, but Joan’s precise scrutiny of facial expression and gesture lives at the heart of her current work. Joan’s daughter, who trained in the theatre, went on to practice circus arts and is an integral part of the realm Joan paints today. We glimpse the backstage world of the circus, the prelude to fantasy, a mysterious place poised at the edge of revelation in spotlights.

Born in 1953 in Montreal, Canada, Joan Dumouchel chose to be an artist in her earliest years. For the past ten years Joan has been sharing her gifts by teaching young and old artists in institutions throughout Canada, Europe and the United States.




















ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق